Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Westside Omelette

Easter was this past weekend. Nick and I spent the afternoon at my mom's house, where the family gathered. Emmett was all better and he's started cooing and smiling. It's outstanding to see him interact with his relatives. Kira was adorably buzzed off of jellybeans and chocolate eggs. Between fits of sugar induced psychosis she'd ask to hold Emmett and she even invited him to hunt Easter eggs with her. When we informed her Emmett was a bit too young to hunt eggs, she was content to hold and love on him.
Jenn, Kira and Emmett
New Years and Easter are the two holidays that my family serves a glazed ham. It is always a glorious treat. What is better than a warm glazed ham out of the oven? Leftover ham for days and days. Nick and I have always been content to make leftover ham sandwiches, that is until my pregnancy induced food lust created something even more deliciously craveable. I present to you... The Westside Omelette.

Ingredients:
2 Eggs
1 Serrano pepper, diced
3 Mushrooms, sliced
1/4 Cup ham, diced
A handful of shredded cheese (I use marble cheddar)
Olive oil

Directions:
Add olive oil to a skillet. Sauté mushrooms and peppers on medium-high heat until soft. Add ham, and continue to sauté until ham is warmed through, about 2 minutes. In a bowl slightly beat eggs. Remove contents from pan and add more olive oil if needed. Pour in eggs. Heat eggs until they start to bubble then add cheese and sautéd ingredients. Fold eggs over the other ingredients and cook until eggs are no longer runny. Serve hot and enjoy!!

The reason I call it the Westside Omelette has to do with my dream of opening a B&B one day with Nick. It'll be called Westside Pancakes. We just need to come up with an amazing pancake recipe and we'll be that much closer! When making the Westside I've only ever used leftover glazed ham, but I'm sure deli ham would do, although I have a feeling it would seem like it's missing something. When I served this to Nick he said it was the best omelette he has ever tasted. I would have to say the same for myself, although I'm picky when it comes to omelets. I hope you all enjoy it if you try it!

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment